23 Apr 2018

Research and Present, from Level 1

Level 1 is the same in all projects, yet I have listened to many presentations who did not understand what this project is about.

In my opinion, and yes a blogger offers an "opinion" not considered in this project as an "expert", also I believe many of us are in the domain we blog about, this project is not to find a Topic to speak about, between those you have passion about. Not only. A lot more. 
Here, from the project itself. I added the bold and the red color to it.

Purpose: The purpose of this project is to learn or review basic research methods and present a well-organized, well-researched speech on any topic.
Overview: Select a topic that you are not already familiar with or that you wish to learn more about. Be sure your topic is narrow enough to be an effective 5- to 7-minute speech. Research the topic and begin organizing the information, as described in this project. Practice your speech and continue to refine its organization. Present your speech at a club meeting.
It is not to take a topic you know a lot about already and present it in 5 to 7 minutes, even if you do it in a very interesting way. It is to make us DO a research about a topic that interest us BUT of which we are not yet familiar or want to learn more. Many times, later, in other projects, we will be told, "research it farther". So we'd better get used to search specific topics from books, articles, pictures, news, interview experts, put many sources information together. Then narrow them down. Take out some interesting parts and organize it in one of the ways described in the Project. 

Make the audience enjoy it, not only understand, while citing a source or two, in the way the project proposes. I am not so sure about how citations go into a speech, but we can always add them or make them available. 

A new Toastmaster from Malaysia wrote me: I am interested in "information technology security". So? He can present it like a detective story! Another, told us about animals or even other stellar systems. In each case, alas, I had the impression, not only that they did not care if the Audience is also interested in it, but they did not take a subject about which they did not already knew a lot.

Research is in my opinion the important part in this project. Gathering information from diverse sources. Analyzing it. Extracting some of it. And, when I do this project, also trying it out. For me, a researcher is not an article writer, a radio reporter, it is someone who tries to add something to the research. But at least, present it in a special way, funny, sad, scary, any way to make it interesting to those listening.

My first Research was Pathways (a year ago) combined with Transition. My second Research was Zoom, about which I did not know much then. Each time, I have taken on something about which I wanted to discover more.

This time, in my last path is will be New Learning Methods, blended or "more then blended" as they call it, as they apply to Pathways Structure and Projects. I have a lot more to learn and understand about this very wast subject, and then, narrow it down to one or maximum three main points for a speech. Would be easier to speak about my topics an hour, but the mastery will be to narrow it down and make it interesting and relevant to all who listen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Simply desire to say your article is as astonishing.
The clearness for your post is simply excellent and
that i can assume you are a professional in this subject.
Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to stay updated with coming near near post.

Thank you one million and please carry on the enjoyable
work.